The Lutheran Home of Southbury’s COVID-19 Updates & Helpful Information
The Lutheran Home of Southbury’s Response to the Connecticut State of Emergency Response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak:
Protocols and procedures are based on the most up-to-date guidance from the Centers for Disease Control (the CDC), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), as well as the local and state Departments of Public Health (DPH).
Screening: This Center’s COVID-19 screening of all individuals including staff, healthcare personnel and visitors follows the most current DPH & CMS screening guidance including symptoms assessments of all entering the Center (except in cases of emergency workers responding to 911calls).
Visitation: Outdoor and indoor visits are supported by this Center in designated visitation spaces including resident rooms (if permissible criteria met) under the most current DPH and CMS guidelines designed to protect residents, staff, and visitors.
Virtual Visits: Several types of electronic communication are available for scheduling a virtual video visit with assistance provided to resident for these types of visits if needed.
Testing: COVID-19 surveillance testing of personnel and residents is conducted as directed by DPH and CMS. New employees are tested prior to starting orientation. The DPH and CMS has developed a rigorous surveillance testing program designed to aid in the early detection of COVID-19 cases (symptomatic and asymptomatic).
Additional Measures: to enhance the safety of personnel and residents includes;
- Recreational activities, communal dining, and use of the rehab therapy gym occurs in adherence to DPH guidance and the Center’s ability to meet the specific criteria of such guidance
- Staff are educated on infection control practices, personal protective equipment (PPE), performing hand hygiene, and the use of appropriate products for environmental cleaning and disinfection
- The Center maintains sufficient levels of PPE and staff are monitored for wearing the appropriate PPE. Staff are updated if changes in the PPE requirements are made. Residents are encouraged to wear a mask and to perform hand hygiene
- Isolation rooms are available for COVID-19 positive residents to receive care by designated staff
- This Center complies with the required reporting and updates on the surveillance testing, vaccination status and COVID-19 status of our residents and staff to the local and state DPH and CDC
- Enhanced infection control protocols and procedures based on the current guidance by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), and the local and state Departments of Public Health (DPH). Center practices include but are not limited to: on-site Certified Infection Preventionist nurse, adherence to use of personal protective equipment (PPE) protocols as indicated, rigorous environmental disinfectant cleaning, and visitor and staff screening procedures.
Fact Sheet for residents when COVID-19 testing is done by BD Veritor System for Rapid Detection of COVID-19.
Click Here for Fact Sheet
Fact Sheet for residents and/or visitors when COVID-19 testing is done by BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card for Rapid Detection of COVID-19.
Click Here for Fact Sheet.
Helpful Links For Information Regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19):
Ct.gov Information Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) (https://portal.ct.gov/Coronavirus)
CDC Learn More About COVID-19 (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html)